The Albany Research Center, also known as the Northwest Electro-development Laboratory and the Albany Metallurgy Research Center was opened in 1943 in Albany, Oregon. The original use of the center was to find methods for using the abundant low-grade resources of the area and to develop new metallurgical processes using the wealth of electrical energy in the area.

Among the research projects at the Albany Research Center was the partnership with the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) in the development of the first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus. The Albany Research Center, in partnership with the AEC and other agencies, conducted experiments with radioactive materials from 1945 until 1978.

A radiological survey of the site was conducted in 1985, and findings concluded that portions of several buildings and exterior locations were determined as being in need of decontamination. Cleanup was conducted from 1987 to 1988, and again from 1990 to 1991. All hazardous waste material was sent to The Hanford Site for disposal. Although the Albany Research Center is still active, it no longer conducts experiments using radioactive material.