Most states subject travel nurses to taxation in the state where the work is performed regardless of the travel nurse’s state of residence. Generally, there is no minimum work period in terms of days or weeks to avoid the worksite state taxation. Worksite state withholding might not apply if the income is below the state’s minimum amounts, but this is unlikely for a travel nurse’s compensation level, even for just a week. Certain neighboring states do have reciprocity agreements where the states agree the worksite state will not require withholding of income tax from compensation paid to a nonresident. State withholding will be made for the worksite state unless your home state and worksite state have a reciprocity agreement. Where the worksite state has no income tax or has a tax rate lower than your home state, your home state may require withholding to the extent their tax rate is greater. Certain home states may require full income tax withholding regardless of the treatment or magnitude of the withholding in the worksite state; this amounts to double tax withholding. This double tax withholding should be partially or fully eliminated through tax credits claimed on the home state annual income tax return (see discussion below).